A Brief History of The Pantiles.
The Pantiles is a Georgian Colonnade and the original shopping area in Royal Tunbridge Wells, Kent.
Also known as the Walks and the Royal Parade it leads from the well situated at the entrance of the Pantiles that gave the town its name.
The buildings on the Pantiles were originally constructed from wood but were destroyed by a fire in 1687 and the following years rebuilt into the distinctive colonnade that remains.
The area was originally one of the most fashionable destinations in Europe where visitors walked in the shade of the trees enjoying the finest shops in the land, and the Fairfax Gallery offers a glimpse of such standards. Founded in 1995 the Fairfax Gallery is one of the longest established businesses on the Pantiles and has welcomed visitors from all around the world. The Fairfax Gallery is located on the Lower Walks of the Pantiles alongside a wonderful array of boutique retailers. We open seven days a week. To view, a selection of our gallery artists click here.